Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 7 - Weigh In

I'm a big fan of solid, steady numbers, but I've since learned with ducklings that nothing is ever solid. Or steady.

It really looks like these girls are growing right in front of my eyes, but I can't confirm it for sure without good, hard numbers. So today I grabbed our food scale to measure them on. I hadn't fully thought out how I was going to get them on there, which I probably should've.

First of all, the girls had to poo. Because, they like to get their "real" weights. As a fellow female, I can relate. Or maybe guys do it too, I wouldn't know.

After getting that out of the way, I realized that they thought the scale was sort of suspicious. I tried to bribe them with food, but they were not falling for it.
Then I started doing weird arm motions to try and sweep them inwards. That seemed to sort of work.
The Welshie finally got on, but she quickly jumped off before I could get a reading on it.
Yes I know the pictures are blurry. You try and take a picture of a week old duckling in dim light who doesn't want to be some place. Anyways, she weighed in at 135 grams.

The runner was much, much easier.
You put your right foot in...

You put your right foot out...

You skip a few steps and you turn yourself about... that's what it's all about!
She even steps off prettily. While her sister screeches away. Goodness. She did weigh in at 124 grams, so I suppose that poop worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment